History

Coat of Arms

Posted on 25 June 2015

The Company received its coat of arms in 1466. It is described as “A felde silver a Cheveron sable grayled iii Compas of the same” meaning “a field silver, a chevron sable (black) grailed and three compasses of the same”. The compasses represent the carpenter’s tools, and the chevron may represent a roof support, the French for […]

Archives

Posted on 20 June 2015

The archives of the Carpenters’ Company contain an almost unbroken series of records documenting the history of the Company from the fifteenth century to the present day. Earliest documents The earliest surviving Company document in the Company’s ownership is the Warden’s Accounts volume, dating from 1438. There are two existing earlier documents relating to the Company: Ordinances of […]

Collections

Posted on 15 June 2015

Carpenters’ Hall houses a collection of paintings, silver, artefacts, works of art and furniture which reflect the Company’s long history. The Company has always maintained a collection of plate, with pieces ranging from silver spoons gifted to the Company by its medieval members, to elaborate Victorian table pieces.Company’s steeple cups Plate was often used as […]

1666 – present

Posted on 10 June 2015

Emerging from the ashes During the eighteenth century, the Carpenters’ Company looked to land and property investments for income. A 63-acre farm in the parish of West Ham, near Stratford, was a notable purchase in 1767. The Company’s careful management of its property and investments continued into the nineteenth century and its growing prosperity was […]

Pre 1666

Posted on 5 June 2015

By 1333, the Carpenters’ Company had developed a ‘Boke of Ordinances’ setting out a number of rules. Most related to the provision of help to members in need and included a payment of 12 pennies a year to help those who became ill or were injured at work. Members of the fraternity were also required to employ other members who […]

History

Posted on 1 June 2015

The history of the Carpenters’ Company goes back over 700 years, with the first written reference a mention of a Master Carpenter in the City of London’s records of 1271. It was originally a medieval trade guild, set up to look after the welfare and interests of carpenters living and working in London – one of a […]