Carpenters’ Hall

The Carpenters’ Company is one of the livery companies of the City of London.

The Carpenters’ Company is one of the livery companies of the City of London.

The Company can trace its origins to the thirteenth century as a medieval trade guild established to look after the welfare and interests of carpenters living and working in London. The Carpenters’ Company has been based on London Wall since its first Hall was built in 1429.

The Carpenters’ Company is one of the livery companies of the City of London.

The Carpenters’ Company is one of the livery companies of the City of London.

The Company can trace its origins to the thirteenth century as a medieval trade guild established to look after the welfare and interests of carpenters living and working in London. The Carpenters’ Company has been based on London Wall since its first Hall was built in 1429.

The Carpenters’ Company is one of the livery companies of the City of London.

The Carpenters’ Company is one of the livery companies of the City of London.

The Company can trace its origins to the thirteenth century as a medieval trade guild established to look after the welfare and interests of carpenters living and working in London. The Carpenters’ Company has been based on London Wall since its first Hall was built in 1429.

CARPENTERS_20

CARPENTERS_20

Carpenters end of year show.

CARPENTERS_21

CARPENTERS_21

Carpenters end of year show.

The Carpenters’ Company has been based on London Wall since its first Hall was built there in 1429. Since that time, there have been three Halls. The current Hall was opened in 1960.

From medieval times Carpenters’ Hall has been used by groups and organisations to meet and entertain, including other guilds.

The site was originally part of the estate of the Hospital of St Mary without Bishopsgate, also known as St Mary Spital.

In January 1519/20 the land was acquired by Thomas Smart, Master of the Company, and he left it to the Company in his will dated 12 March of the same year.

A fire in the mid-nineteenth century severely weakened the building and a second Hall was built during the 1870s, opening in 1880.

The third Hall, which still stands today, was built following an air raid in 1941 when the second Hall was completely burnt out.

Virtual tour of the Hall.

For more details about visiting the Hall please contact the Clerk or the Archivist, on 020 7588 7001 or info@carpentersco.com. Please note that tours of Carpenters’ Hall are only available to pre-booked groups.