Building Crafts College
The Building Crafts College was founded in 1893 by the Carpenters’ Company as the Trades Training School.
Today, the College is constituted as an Educational Charity and is governed and financially supported by the Worshipful Company of Carpenters. Approximately 60% of income is derived from public sources, 25% in fees and 15% from charitable sources, mainly the Carpenters’ Company Charitable Trust. The College teaches a wide range of fine woodworking, stonemasonry and construction courses and apprenticeships as well as related subjects such as conservation and restoration. Crafts evening classes are also available.
Dynamic and forward-looking, the College accepts students of all ages and from all walks of life who wish to pursue excellence and outstanding craftsmanship in their chosen field. It is based in state-of-the-art facilities in Stratford, East London.
History of the College
Originally located in Great Titchfield Street between Oxford Street and Regent’s Park, on opening the College was the only establishment in London offering instruction and training in building crafts to young men.
During the Second World War, over 3,000 servicemen were trained as carpenters, blacksmiths and sheet-metal workers at the College. However, by 1947, the school had reverted to training apprentices for the construction industry and was known as the Building Crafts Training School.
The original building, rebuilt in 1968, became outdated and too small for the requirements of technical training in the 21st century. A new, purpose-built College was established on land owned by the Company in Kennard Road, Stratford and opened in 2001.
Visit the Building Crafts College website for more details.
For inquiries about the history of the College contact the Carpenters’ Company archivist Julie Tancell, firstname.lastname@example.org.